The Master of Science in Cybersecurity explores key issues in information security and how technology can help resolve them. You’ll acquire hands-on tools for cybersecurity plus relevant knowledge in law, the social sciences, criminology, and management.
Northeastern’s Khoury College has been designated by National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security as a Center of Academic Excellence in fields including information assurance research and cyber operations.
All Roux Institute programs provide content relevant to the urgent and emerging needs of industry in Maine and the rapidly evolving regional, national, and global economy. Opportunities for experiential learning will be concentrated in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region. Students are encouraged to pursue co-ops and special virtual Experiential Network projects with the institute’s founding corporate partners, a group of leading employers in Maine.
Duration of Program
- Northeastern University has been designated by the National Security Agency and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cyber Defense, in IA Research, and in Cyber Operations
- Earn real-world experience through the capstone project, or through numerous co-op opportunities
- Join an alumni network who work at leading institutions such as Cigital, Akamai, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, MITRE, and Partners Healthcare
- Build core knowledge surrounding computer system security and network practices
- Plan and implement security strategies to reduce risk and enhance protection of information assets and systems
- Understand legal and ethical issues associated with information security, privacy, and digital rights
- Enhance communication skills for effective interaction with corporate management on IA-related issues
Ever-increasing cyberattacks against companies and governments are creating unprecedented risks and tremendous need for trained cybersecurity professionals. In fact, according to Burning Glass, a labor market analytics firm, cybersecurity positions rose 73 percent in the five-year period ending in 2012—3.5 times faster than postings for computer jobs as a whole. As a result of mounting risks, knowledge and experience requirements, and demand exceeding available talent, cybersecurity specialists command premium salaries. For example, the median pay for a cybersecurity analyst—ranked #17 in CNN/Money’s “Best Jobs in America”—is $95,700. Our MS Cybersecurity graduates have found career success at a range of companies and government organizations, including:
- EMC Corporation
- MITRE Corporation
- U.S. Army, Navy, and Air Force
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. National Security Agency
Scholarships and aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2020-2021 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
The Roux Institute is currently offering generous scholarships to meet the financial needs of all students through its Alfond Scholars Initiative. Each award is determined by an individual assessment. And Northeastern alumni receive a Double Husky Scholarship —a tuition discount of 25 percent.Learn more about the Alfond Scholars Initiative
Corporate tuition benefits
Many employers subsidize education for their employees. Speak with yours about any tuition benefits your company may offer.
Special military scholarships
For military veterans and servicemembers, a limited number of donor-funded scholarships are available even after all other aid has been awarded to help with commuting costs, childcare, and other costs of living.Learn more about military scholarships
You can apply for federal aid grants and loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.Learn about the FAFSA
- Online application and fee
- Unofficial undergraduate/graduate transcripts; you can submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended at the time of admission
- Statement of purpose that should include career goals and expected outcomes and benefits from the program
- Recent professional resumé listing detailed position responsibilities
- Three confidential letters of recommendation
- Unofficial GRE General Test scores – NOT REQUIRED FOR FALL 2021 and SPRING 2022
- Deadline for domestic applicants: August 15, 2021
Master of Science in Cybersecurity Core Requirements
Courses and their associated credit hours are listed below.
Complete 8 semester hours from the following:
Complete 8 semester hours from the following:
Complete 8 semester hours from the following*:
Choose one from the following:
Learning integrated with professional experience is a hallmark of Northeastern and the Roux Institute. Students gain a clear understanding of real-world industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast—and valued workplace skills like communication and teamwork—through assignments at companies and nonprofit organizations. Students can complete a six-week virtual project relevant to their studies through the university’s Experiential Network (XN) of employers, or even for their own company. Or they can apply for four- and six-month, full-time co-op positions. All opportunities enable students to build their resumés, expand their professional networks, and chart a path to in-demand careers.
Sometimes it helps to talk things through. Complete the form and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.