With the Master of Science in Real-World Evidence (RWE) in Healthcare and Life Sciences, you will gain all the knowledge and skills to produce important scientific and business results from real-world health data, such as electronic medical records and insurance claims. Experts will teach you how epidemiologists, health services researchers, and health policymakers use real-world data to produce reliable evidence. You will explore hands-on how this research discipline creates comprehensive understanding of disease, and you will learn about the complex methods and software to build that competence.
The skills you will obtain are immediately deployable to highly sought-after positions at pharmaceutical companies, regulatory authorities, health systems, technology companies, and consulting groups specializing in life sciences and healthcare. This program is designed for healthcare and other professionals who are passionate about creating the evidence that will change medicine and the lives of people.
Duration of Program
- The Master of Science in Real World Evidence in Healthcare and Life Sciences program at Northeastern draws on strong industry partnerships to provide experiential learning opportunities for students enrolled in this program.
- During the program, you will work with the Experiential Network (XN) in projects. The capstone course will consist of experiential learning that may be offered in concert with Northeastern partners in the life sciences and healthcare industry
Through this program, students will acquire the ability to:
- Describe the value and process of the ethical use of observational health data to answer clinical questions.
- Illustrate how different forms of observational health data are collected, organized, and standardized to generate accurate, reproducible, and well-calibrated evidence.
- Use state-of-the-art statistical software and methods to combine and analyze large-scale federated health data from diverse sources (e.g., EHRs) while preserving privacy.
- Construct and take part in a team to conceptualize, analyze, and communicate the results of a study using observational health data to answer a clinical question.
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of an observational health analysis.
The hiring market for RWE-related skills is strong, particularly in the United States, where there were over 85,000 job postings related to RWE from December 2020 to November 2021 (Source: Emsi Knowledge Base, 2021).
The top employers hiring professionals with RWE-related skills in relevant industries include Pfizer, Merck, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and Bristol Myers Squibb (Source: Emsi Knowledge Base, 2021).
Scholarships and aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2022-2023 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
The Roux Institute is currently offering generous scholarships to meet the financial needs of all students through its Alfond Scholars Initiative. Each award is determined by an individual assessment. And Northeastern alumni receive a Double Husky Scholarship —a tuition discount of 25 percent.Learn more about the Alfond Scholars Initiative
Corporate tuition benefits
Many employers subsidize education for their employees. Speak with yours about any tuition benefits your company may offer.
Special military scholarships
For military veterans and servicemembers, a limited number of donor-funded scholarships are available even after all other aid has been awarded to help with commuting costs, childcare, and other costs of living.Learn more about military scholarships
You can apply for federal aid grants and loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.Learn about the FAFSA
- Application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Personal statement
- TOEFL or IELTS for applicants who do not hold a degree from a U.S. institution and whose native language is not English
The program culminates with a capstone project that includes time to become immersed in experiences working in RWE projects. The course will consist of experiential learning that will include partnering with real jobs in the life sciences and healthcare industry.
Sometimes it helps to talk things through. Complete the form and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.