The Master of Professional Studies in Analytics provides students with the knowledge and competencies integral to the role of an analyst. These include statistics, mathematics, analytics systems technology, business intelligence, advanced analytics, business process/management, business analytics agility, communicating with data, and leadership/data governance, policy, and ethics.
The program prepares students by applying the principles, tools, and methods of analytics to a project within a sponsoring organization. Students successfully assist with the extraction, development, delivery, translation, and implementation of data analysis for tactical and/or strategic decision-making in organizations.
All Roux Institute programs provide content relevant to the urgent and emerging needs of industry in Maine and the rapidly evolving regional, national, and global economy. Opportunities for experiential learning will be concentrated in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region. Students are encouraged to pursue co-ops and special virtual Experiential Network projects with the institute’s founding corporate partners, a group of leading employers in Maine.
2 years or less
Duration of Program
- Graduate with a portfolio of work samples that demonstrate your range and depth of skill.
- Be part of a larger network of analytics professionals.
- This is a STEM-designated graduate degree.
- The program is delivered through a hybrid model of online and on-site learning.
- Build portfolios of real-world projects demonstrating competency with key technologies, visualization and communication techniques, and the ability to translate information into recommended actions.
- Gain a core analytical skill set upon which to layer more specialized technical skill sets or industry-specific applications.
- Develop a relationship to industry leaders and peers so that you may leverage your Northeastern education long after your formal education ends.
- Choose from a host of flexible programming options—all of which share an industry-defined core curriculum and a credit-bearing experiential requirement.
- Anticipate and contribute to the future direction of data analytics.
Scholarships and aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is based on tuition rates for Academic Year 2019 - 20 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time.
The Roux Institute is offering generous scholarships in its inaugural year to select applicants through its Resilience Scholarship Program. Employees of the institute’s employer partners are eligible for an Employer Partner Scholarship. And Northeastern alumni receive a Double Husky Scholarship — a tuition discount of 25 percent.Learn more about the Resilience Scholarship Program
Corporate tuition benefits
Many employers subsidize education for their employees. Speak with yours about any tuition benefits your company may offer.
Special military scholarships
For military veterans and servicemembers, a limited number of donor-funded scholarships are available even after all other aid has been awarded to help with commuting costs, childcare, and other costs of living.Learn more about military scholarships
You can apply for federal aid grants and loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.Learn about the FAFSA
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): Identify your educational goals and expectations of the program. Please be aware that Northeastern University’s academic policy on plagiarism applies to your statement of purpose.
- Professional resumé
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts; official transcripts required at the time of admission
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who have either academic or professional knowledge of your capabilities such as a faculty member, colleague, or mentor, preferably one from your current employer
- English language proficiency proof. Students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official associate or bachelor’s degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo, or NU Global Exam scores
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis; however, we do recommend following the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term.
- Domestic application complete (first half start: September 14, 2020) September 4, 2020
- Domestic application complete (second half start: October 26, 2020) October 16, 2020
- Domestic application complete (first half start: January 11, 2021) January 1, 2021
- Domestic application complete (second half start: February 22, 2021) February 12, 2021
- Domestic application complete (first half start: April 12, 2021) April 2, 2021
- Domestic application complete (second half start: May 24, 2021) May 14, 2021
- Domestic application complete (start date: July 12, 2021) July 2, 2021
Master of Professional Studies in Analytics General Requirements
Courses and their associated credit hours are listed below.
Experiential Learning Course
Experiential Capstone Course
Complete a minimum of two courses to reach 45 quarter hours:
Choose one from the following:
Learning integrated with professional experience is a hallmark of Northeastern and the Roux Institute. Students gain a clear understanding of real-world industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast—and valued workplace skills like communication and teamwork—through assignments at companies and nonprofit organizations. Students can complete a six-week virtual project relevant to their studies through the university’s Experiential Network (XN) of employers. Or they can apply for four- and six-month, full-time co-op positions. All opportunities enable students to build their resumés, expand their professional networks, and chart a path to in-demand careers.
Sometimes it helps to talk things through. Complete the form and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.