Northeastern University’s Master of Science in Computer Science prepares students for exciting, meaningful careers across the full spectrum of computer science applications and across industries. Whether you choose to be a generalist or a specialist, the MSCS program will equip you to tackle diverse challenges in the field of computer science. Refine your broad base of fundamental knowledge and gain expertise in breadth areas such as systems and software, theory and security, and artificial intelligence and data science. Discover what an MSCS degree from Khoury College can mean for you.
Roux Institute programs allow students to gain skills that are critical to the urgent and emerging needs of both the industries of Maine and of the rapidly evolving national and global economy. Students will have experiential learning opportunities in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region. The program encourages students to pursue co-ops and unique experiential network projects with the institute’s founding corporate partners – a group of leading employers in Maine.
A graduate degree from Northeastern—a top-50 university—can accelerate your career through rigorous academic coursework and hands-on professional experience in the area of your interest. Apply now—and take your career to the next level.
Duration of Program
- This program is designed for students with a background in computer science.
- Three breadth areas that allow students to build skills in cutting-edge areas of computer science.
- Faculty are experts in their fields and have extensive industry experience.
- Students may choose to participate in a four- to six-month paid co-op or internship.
- This program is structured to prepare students for the high-demand jobs and industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region.
- This program is delivered through a hybrid model of online and in-person learning.
- Exhibit proficiency in the design and maintenance of large application software.
- Develop the ability to maintain network infrastructure.
- Build familiarity with basic algorithms and theoretical computer science principles.
- Demonstrate ability in advanced programming and software design materials.
MSCS students have held the following co-ops and internships:
- IT application development co-op at Bangor Savings Bank
- Software engineer co-op at Buoy Health
- Computational sciences co-op at The Jackson Laboratory
- Software engineer co-op at VETRO FiberMap
- UI/UX designer co-op at New England Marine Monitoring
"The MS in Computer Science is a Swiss-Army-knife degree. With it, graduates are prepared for multiple roles in multiple industries. It's a valuable, useful, and flexible degree." – Amit Shesh, Teaching Professor, Director - MSCS Boston
Scholarships and aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2022-2023 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
The Roux Institute is currently offering generous scholarships to meet the financial needs of all students through its Alfond Scholars Initiative. Each award is determined by an individual assessment. And Northeastern alumni receive a Double Husky Scholarship —a tuition discount of 25 percent.Learn more about the Alfond Scholars Initiative
Corporate tuition benefits
Many employers subsidize education for their employees. Speak with yours about any tuition benefits your company may offer.
Special military scholarships
For military veterans and servicemembers, a limited number of donor-funded scholarships are available even after all other aid has been awarded to help with commuting costs, childcare, and other costs of living.Learn more about military scholarships
You can apply for federal aid grants and loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.Learn about the FAFSA
- Online application and fee
- Unofficial undergraduate/graduate transcripts reflecting conferral of bachelor’s degree; you can submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended at the time of admission.
- Statement of purpose that should include career goals and expected outcomes and benefits from the program
- Recent professional resumé listing detailed position responsibilities
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who have either academic or professional knowledge of your capabilities such as a faculty member, colleague, or mentor, preferably one from your current employer
- Official TOEFL examination scores (international students only)
Applicants must submit the online application and all required admission materials no later than the stated deadlines to be considered for admission. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis.
- International Applicants April 15, 2023
- Domestic Applicants August 1, 2023
Cooperative education, or co-op, distinguishes the Northeastern graduate education and makes it more impactful. It provides master’s students with up to 12 months of professional experience that allows them to develop the knowledge, awareness, perspective, and confidence to develop fulfilling careers.
Graduate students typically have an experiential work opportunity following their second semester. This could be a six- to eight-month co-op or a three- to four-month summer internship. Those who initially choose to complete a co-op may have the opportunity to seek an internship for the following summer, or vice versa.
Student participation in experiential education provides enhanced:
- Maturity, responsibility, and self-knowledge
- Technical expertise
- Occupational information
- Job-seeking and job-success skills
- Networking opportunities with those in desired career paths
Northeastern’s co-op program is based on the principle that experience propels students beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus to a lifetime of learning, knowledge creation, and career and personal growth. Co-op is closely integrated with our course curriculum and our advising system. The team of graduate co-op faculty within the Khoury College of Computer Sciences provides support for students in preparing for and succeeding on their co-ops.
These multiple connections make co-op at Northeastern an avenue to intellectual and personal growth: adding depth to classroom studies, providing exposure to career paths and opportunities. Experiential learning enables students to develop a deeper understanding for a successful future.
Sometimes it helps to talk things through. Complete the form and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.