The Graduate Certificate in Project Management helps prepare students to effectively and efficiently manage projects. The program provides the practical and theoretical knowledge for which the Project Management Institute tests, and it is expected that individuals who successfully complete this program will be capable of fulfilling the educational requirements of the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification exam. Topics covered through required and elective courses include project planning and scheduling, risk management, cost and budget management, and project evaluation and assessment. This certificate program is designed with sufficient course flexibility to accommodate professionals with various levels of project management experience. Project management principles are applicable to both manufacturing and service industries, including professionals in fields such as software engineering, construction management, and financial services.
All Roux Institute programs provide content relevant to the urgent and emerging needs of industry in Maine and the rapidly evolving regional, national, and global economy. Opportunities for experiential learning will be concentrated in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region. Students are encouraged to pursue co-ops and special virtual Experiential Network projects with the institute’s founding corporate partners, a group of leading employers in Maine.
Duration of Program
- Choose from elective courses covering a range of topics pertinent to the project management field.
- Certificate coursework can be applied to Northeastern’s Master of Science in Corporate and Organizational Communication, Master of Science in Nonprofit Management, and Master of Science in Project Management degrees.
- The program content is designed to prepare students for the high-demand jobs and industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region.
- The program is delivered through a hybrid model of online and on-site learning.
Scholarships and aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2020-2021 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
The Roux Institute is currently offering generous scholarships to meet the financial needs of all students through its Alfond Scholars Initiative. Each award is determined by an individual assessment. And Northeastern alumni receive a Double Husky Scholarship —a tuition discount of 25 percent.Learn more about the Alfond Scholars Initiative
Corporate tuition benefits
Many employers subsidize education for their employees. Speak with yours about any tuition benefits your company may offer.
Special military scholarships
For military veterans and servicemembers, a limited number of donor-funded scholarships are available even after all other aid has been awarded to help with commuting costs, childcare, and other costs of living.Learn more about military scholarships
You can apply for federal aid grants and loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.Learn about the FAFSA
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): Identify your educational goals and expectations of the program. Please be aware that Northeastern University’s academic policy on plagiarism applies to your statement of purpose.
- Professional resumé
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts; official transcripts required at the time of admission
- English language proficiency proof. Students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official associate or bachelor’s degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo, or NU Global Exam scores
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis; however, we do recommend following the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term.
- Domestic application complete (First half start: April 12, 2021) April 2, 2021
- Domestic application complete (Second half start: May 24, 2021) May 14, 2021
- Domestic application complete (first half start: July 12, 2021) June 28, 2021
- Domestic application complete (second half start: August 9, 2021) July 26, 2021
- Domestic application complete (first half start: September 20, 2021) September 7, 2021
- Domestic application complete (second half start: November 1, 2021) October 18, 2021
- Domestic application complete (first half start: January 10, 2022) December 20, 2021
- Domestic application complete (second half start: February 22, 2022) February 8, 2022
- Domestic application complete (first half start: April 11, 2022) March 28, 2022
- Domestic application complete (second half start: May 23, 2022) May 9, 2022
- Domestic application complete (first half start: July 11, 2022) June 27, 2022
- Domestic application complete (second half start: August 8, 2022) July 25, 2022
Graduate Certificate in Project Management
Courses and their associated credit hours are listed below.
PJM 5900 is for students with less than three years of experience directing or leading project tasks and is recommended for students who do not have a basic working knowledge of Microsoft Project software. Students who do not complete PJM5900 take project management electives to satisfy required program credits.
Learning integrated with professional experience is a hallmark of Northeastern and the Roux Institute. Students gain a clear understanding of real-world industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast—and valued workplace skills like communication and teamwork—through assignments at companies and nonprofit organizations. Students can complete a six-week virtual project relevant to their studies through the university’s Experiential Network (XN) of employers, or even for their own company. Or they can apply for four- and six-month, full-time co-op positions. All opportunities enable students to build their resumés, expand their professional networks, and chart a path to in-demand careers.
Sometimes it helps to talk things through. Complete the form and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.