In this program, you’ll take a multi-disciplinary approach to learning, creating well-rounded and sought-after innovators primed to utilize data and AI to inform domain-specific business decisions. Combining the disciplines of applied machine learning and artificial intelligence, data management, data analysis, and data visualization, a Master of Professional Studies in Applied Machine Intelligence teaches you to solve business problems within the rapidly growing field of artificial intelligence.
The diverse concentrations of healthcare, finance, human resources, and business ventures are a direct reflection of the AI value potential in these categories. Our program empowers students to apply AI models and algorithms to a chosen industry and focuses on the interpretation, operationalization, contextualization, and implementation of AI.
With a modular curriculum, you can easily customize your learning activities and experiences across multiple contexts both online and on-ground. Plus, you can earn your degree in less than two years.
All Roux Institute programs provide content relevant to the urgent and emerging needs of industry in Maine and the rapidly evolving regional, national, and global economy. Opportunities for experiential learning will be concentrated in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region. Students are encouraged to pursue co-ops and special virtual Experiential Network projects with the institute’s founding corporate partners, a group of leading employers in Maine.
Duration of Program
- Graduate with a portfolio of work samples that demonstrate your range and depth of competencies and skills with machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- Work closely with faculty from different fields and areas of expertise.
- Our experiential AI curriculum includes an introductory core, as well as an advanced core with an end-to-end AI education, with the goal to proactively and thoughtfully prepare students for the evolving technology and the challenges it presents.
According to Gartner, an estimated 2.3 million AI jobs will be created by 2020. Now’s the time to prepare yourself for a changing industry by building desirable skills and experience with an MPS in Applied Machine Intelligence.
Scholarships and aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2022-2023 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
The Roux Institute is currently offering generous scholarships to meet the financial needs of all students through its Alfond Scholars Initiative. Each award is determined by an individual assessment. And Northeastern alumni receive a Double Husky Scholarship —a tuition discount of 25 percent.Learn more about the Alfond Scholars Initiative
Corporate tuition benefits
Many employers subsidize education for their employees. Speak with yours about any tuition benefits your company may offer.
Special military scholarships
For military veterans and servicemembers, a limited number of donor-funded scholarships are available even after all other aid has been awarded to help with commuting costs, childcare, and other costs of living.Learn more about military scholarships
You can apply for federal aid grants and loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.Learn about the FAFSA
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): identifies your educational goals and expectations of the program
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts (Official transcripts required at the time of admission) reflecting bachelor’s degrees in engineering, computer technology, or coursework in place of Statistics.
- Two letters of recommendation: from individuals who have either academic or professional knowledge of your capabilities such as a faculty member, colleague, or mentor, preferably one from your current employer
- English Language Proficiency Proof: students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official bachelor’s degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S, stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, or NU Global Exam scores
All students accepted to the MPS in Applied Machine Intelligence will be required to complete a Python Placement Exam upon acceptance. Those who achieve an 85% or greater will start with AI 6000 and those 84% and below will have to take a required Python course in their first term that will count towards a required elective.
- Application deadline for international applicants: November 6, 2023 (classes start: January 8, 2024)
- Application deadline for domestic applicants: December 18, 2023 (classes start: January 8, 2024)
- Application deadline for international applicants: February 5, 2024
- Application deadline for domestic applicants: March 25, 2024
Learning integrated with professional experience is a hallmark of Northeastern and the Roux Institute. Students gain a clear understanding of real-world industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast—and valued workplace skills like communication and teamwork—through assignments at companies and nonprofit organizations. Students can complete a six-week virtual project relevant to their studies through the university’s Experiential Network (XN) of employers, or even for their own company. Or they can apply for four- and six-month, full-time co-op positions. All opportunities enable students to build their resumés, expand their professional networks, and chart a path to in-demand careers.