With a bustling city center, emerging industries, and easy access to outdoor activities of every kind, Portland, Maine and its surrounding area is one of the most desirable regions to live in the U.S. Located less than two hours from Boston by car, train, or bus, Portland has a reputation for being a beautiful and safe city, and ideal location to enjoy what Maine and northern New England have to offer.
- The Portland Jetport (airport code: PWM) is Portland, Maine’s primary airport. The Jetport is serviced daily by global carriers including United, Delta, American, and Southwest Airlines, with dozens of flights to and from many of the largest cities in the U.S.
- Logan Airport (airport code: BOS) is the international airport serving Boston, Massachusetts and the surrounding area, with hundreds of daily domestic and international flights. Logan Airport is located less than two hours from Portland, Maine, accessible by car, train, or bus (see below).
- Concord Coach Lines provides daily service from Logan Airport in Boston, Massachusetts, to the greater Portland, Maine area.
- Greyhound provides daily service from Boston, Massachusetts, to Portland, Maine.
- Greater Portland METRO buses offer routes within Portland and to neighboring towns South Portland, Falmouth, and Westbrook. This includes destinations including the Maine Mall and the Portland Jetport, among many others.
- The METRO BREEZ travels a little further than the traditional METRO bus routes, bringing you north of Portland to the towns of Yarmouth, Freeport, or Brunswick.
- Amtrak’s Downeaster is a train line that runs from Brunswick, Maine to Boston, Massachusetts, with stops in-between including Portland and Durham, New Hampshire. With five daily round-trips between Maine and Boston, it’s easy to hop on and head to the Boston area for travel, school, or pleasure.
Rental Car/Vehicle Services
University Housing Opportunities
Special Housing Opportunity for Incoming Students
The Roux Institute has a new housing opportunity, being offered exclusively to newly admitted students! This housing allows new students access to newly constructed apartments in Portland, within walking distance of the Roux Institute campus. The availability of these units is limited, and is available to new students on a first-come, first-served basis.
Portland Maine Rentals
Northeastern University has leased housing in Portland with Portland Maine Rentals, a premier rental agency. This opportunity offers high quality, furnished rentals for renters in need of short-term housing.
Understanding the Area
A charming and vibrant waterfront city, growing demand has made securing housing in Portland more challenging. However, there are various rental options for both single, family and shared living situations in the city of Portland and the surrounding area. Many students live in buildings with studio or one-bedroom apartments. Often, single-family houses are rented out with individuals inhabiting different bedrooms while sharing the kitchen and living area.
City of Portland
As you explore housing opportunities online, you may consider one of the following Portland neighborhoods situated near the Roux Institute campus: Munjoy Hill, East End, West End, Bayside, Deering, Nasons Corner, and Woodfords.
There are a number of surrounding towns and communities only a short drive (5-30 minutes) from downtown Portland. Many offer public transportation options into the city, including Falmouth (5 minutes), South Portland (5 minutes), Yarmouth (15 minutes), Scarborough (20 minutes), Westbrook (20 minutes), and Brunswick (30 minutes).
Area Housing Providers
With the exception of our disclosed Northeastern University housing opportunity noted above, Northeastern University does not endorse any landlord, management company, or individual for their residential conditions, application process, or property management practices.
We have gathered resources for students who are interested in exploring area housing providers, including websites submitted by current students that they have used in the area to identify housing in and around the Portland area. We encourage you to reach out to them directly to understand availability of units, application fees and deposits, lease terms and costs and other specifics.
We recommend that you use Google Maps (or a similar map program) to reference how far from campus a potential property may be, adjusting for your preferred transportation method (walking, bicycling, public transit, or car). Property management companies may represent buildings in different areas of the state, making it important that you are clear about how close you desire to be to our campus (100 Fore Street, Portland, Maine, 04101).
Property Management Websites
- Avesta Housing
- Back Bay Tower
- Bellport Property Management
- Casco Bay Rental Properties
- Chesnut Portland
- Harbor Management
- Port Property
- Preservation Management
- Princeton on Back Cove
- Redbank Village
- Saco Falls Management
Apartment Listing Websites
Northeastern University’s Off-Campus Housing and Student Services Office additionally offers resources that may be beneficial to your housing search. While the full website is worth visiting, we have put together a short list of some of the most useful pages for Roux students:
To reach out to our housing team, please email [email protected].