Computing is an essential element of nearly every human endeavor, and today’s computer scientists are solving many of the world’s problems. For this innovative work, the rewards are often high, with competitive salaries and the intrinsic benefits of knowing that your contributions have great impact on people, companies, and communities.
Northeastern’s Align Master of Science in Computer Science program, offered by the Khoury College of Computer Sciences, combines core coursework in program design, computer systems, and software development. Elective courses in machine learning, databases, distributed systems, networks and security, and software engineering allow students to tailor their degree to their unique interests. Classroom and cohort-based learning support students’ development of fundamental computer science and problem-solving skills. Students are part of a vibrant community and have access to outstanding academic support.
All Roux Institute programs provide content relevant to the urgent and emerging needs of industry in Maine and the rapidly evolving regional, national, and global economy. Opportunities for experiential learning will be concentrated in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region. Students are encouraged to pursue co-ops and special virtual Experiential Network projects with the institute’s founding corporate partners, a group of leading employers in Maine.
Duration of Program
- Program designed for students with non-computer science backgrounds.
- Flexible class schedules make it possible for working professionals to participate in the program.
- Students can gain up to 12 months of work experience through paid co-op or internship positions.
- The program content is designed to prepare students for the high-demand jobs and industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region.
- The program is delivered through a hybrid model of online and on-site learning.
- Develop the ability to recognize and solve problems arising in modern computing.
- Assimilate ideas and concepts from theoretical studies and hands-on design and programming.
- Acquire skills in software and application design, network infrastructure, and other dynamic and emerging computer science areas.
In June 2013, Forbes reviewed salary and employment outlook data with the goal of identifying the best master’s degrees for immediate job potential. Information systems ranked first, and computer science ranked fourth. The projected increase in jobs associated with these degrees was 30 percent and 21.3 percent, respectively. The opportunities are vast, and the rewards are innumerable.
Scholarships and aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2020-2021 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
The Roux Institute is currently offering generous scholarships to meet the financial needs of all students through its Alfond Scholars Initiative. Each award is determined by an individual assessment. And Northeastern alumni receive a Double Husky Scholarship —a tuition discount of 25 percent.Learn more about the Alfond Scholars Initiative
Corporate tuition benefits
Many employers subsidize education for their employees. Speak with yours about any tuition benefits your company may offer.
Special military scholarships
For military veterans and servicemembers, a limited number of donor-funded scholarships are available even after all other aid has been awarded to help with commuting costs, childcare, and other costs of living.Learn more about military scholarships
You can apply for federal aid grants and loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.Learn about the FAFSA
- Online application
- Unofficial undergraduate/graduate transcripts; you can submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended at the time of admission
- Completion of two out of three essay prompts given in the application portal
- Recent professional resumé listing detailed position responsibilities
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who have either academic or professional knowledge of your capabilities such as a faculty member, colleague, or mentor, preferably one from your current employer
- Unofficial TOEFL or IELTS examination scores (international students only)
Applicants must submit the online application and all required admission materials no later than the stated deadlines to be considered for admission. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis.
- Deadline for domestic applicants: January 1, 2021
Align Master of Science in Computer Science General Requirements
Courses and their associated credit hours are listed below.
Align Bridge Coursework
Students are required to complete the following bridge courses.
A grade of B or higher is required in each course.
Additional Align courses
Choose one of the following:
Choose one from the following:
Learning integrated with professional experience is a hallmark of Northeastern and the Roux Institute. Students gain a clear understanding of real-world industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast—and valued workplace skills like communication and teamwork—through assignments at companies and nonprofit organizations. Students can complete a six-week virtual project relevant to their studies through the university’s Experiential Network (XN) of employers, or even for their own company. Or they can apply for four- and six-month, full-time co-op positions. All opportunities enable students to build their resumés, expand their professional networks, and chart a path to in-demand careers.
Sometimes it helps to talk things through. Complete the form and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.