The Master of Science in Computer Science, offered by Northeastern's Khoury College of Computer Science, is designed to prepare students for a variety of careers in computer science. The program combines both computing and important application domains. This enables students to increase their broad-based knowledge in the field while focusing on one curricular specialization selected from a range of options, including artificial intelligence, computer-human interface, data science, game design, graphics, information security, networks, programming languages, software engineering, systems, and theory.
All Roux Institute programs provide content relevant to the urgent and emerging needs of industry in Maine and the rapidly evolving regional, national, and global economy. Opportunities for experiential learning will be concentrated in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region. Students are encouraged to pursue co-ops and special virtual Experiential Network projects with the institute’s founding corporate partners, a group of leading employers in Maine.
Duration of Program
- The program is designed for students with a background in computer science.
- Eleven concentrations range from artificial intelligence to software engineering.
- The program features industry-aligned professors.
- Students may participate in a four- to six-month paid co-op or internship.
- The program content is designed to prepare students for the high-demand jobs and industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast region.
- The program is delivered through a hybrid model of online and on-site learning.
- Exhibit proficiency in the design and maintenance of large application software.
- Develop the ability to maintain network infrastructure.
- Build familiarity with basic algorithms and theoretical computer science principles.
- Demonstrate ability in advanced programming and software design materials.
Northeastern’s MSCS graduates have found success in a wide range of careers, including software development engineer at Amazon, consultant at Deloitte, software engineer at Microsoft, and full stack developer at Cartera Commerce, Inc.
Scholarships and aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2020-2021 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
The Roux Institute is currently offering generous scholarships to meet the financial needs of all students through its Alfond Scholars Initiative. Each award is determined by an individual assessment. And Northeastern alumni receive a Double Husky Scholarship —a tuition discount of 25 percent.Learn more about the Alfond Scholars Initiative
Corporate tuition benefits
Many employers subsidize education for their employees. Speak with yours about any tuition benefits your company may offer.
Special military scholarships
For military veterans and servicemembers, a limited number of donor-funded scholarships are available even after all other aid has been awarded to help with commuting costs, childcare, and other costs of living.Learn more about military scholarships
You can apply for federal aid grants and loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.Learn about the FAFSA
- Online application and fee
- Unofficial undergraduate/graduate transcripts; you can submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended at the time of admission.
- Statement of purpose that should include career goals and expected outcomes and benefits from the program
- Recent professional resumé listing detailed position responsibilities
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who have either academic or professional knowledge of your capabilities such as a faculty member, colleague, or mentor, preferably one from your current employer
- Official GRE General Test scores (NOT REQUIRED FOR SPRING 2021, FALL 2021, or SPRING 2022)
- Official TOEFL examination scores (international students only)
Applicants must submit the online application and all required admission materials no later than the stated deadlines to be considered for admission. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis.
Master of Science in Computer Science General Requirements
Courses and their associated credit hours are listed below.
Take one of the following:
Choose one from the following:
Learning integrated with professional experience is a hallmark of Northeastern and the Roux Institute. Students gain a clear understanding of real-world industry needs in Portland, the state of Maine, and the Northeast—and valued workplace skills like communication and teamwork—through assignments at companies and nonprofit organizations. Students can complete a six-week virtual project relevant to their studies through the university’s Experiential Network (XN) of employers, or even for their own company. Or they can apply for four- and six-month, full-time co-op positions. All opportunities enable students to build their resumés, expand their professional networks, and chart a path to in-demand careers.
Sometimes it helps to talk things through. Complete the form and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.